The Controller is responsible for all financial aspects of the business and must ensure compliance with all SLP Corporate Policies and Procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements. Responsible for all financial statements, internal and external audits, budgets, forecasts and strategic business plans, and must coordinate with Divisions to achieve the goals and objectives of the business. Oversees daily operations of the Accounting department.
Reports To: CFO
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare financial statement for internal and external SEC reporting
- Prepare timely and comprehensive reports including analysis of financial data and statements, including:
- working capital
- cash balances
- other financial metrics based on past, present and forecasted operations
- Prepare forecasts, monitor approved forecasts on a quarterly basis, providing guidance and assistance where needed to management
- Manage financial and SOX audits with internal & external auditors
- Work with CFO to monitor and review compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, oversees all internal controls and provide recommendations for procedural improvements
- Manage and coordinates the company’s income tax compliance including federal, state and local tax issues
- Serve as an adviser to and strategic partner with C-Suite and management of the divisions, assisting in decisions related to forecasts, financial statements and controls
- Establish & implement short-and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Design, establish and maintain an organizational structure that effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives, leveraging strengths of the current Finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities, develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent analytical skills & understanding of accounting and finance issues
- Ability to analyze financial data & prepare financial reports, statements and forecasts
- Working knowledge of:
- variance analysis.
- A proactive hands-on strategic thinker with solid problem-solving skills – which allows for strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting.
- Experience presenting to highest levels of management with confidence and precision
- Attention to detail & an attitude of 100% compliance with all company and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce within tight timeframes, while simultaneously managing several projects.
- High energy level and ability to work flexible hours
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
Experience & Education:
- BS or BA in Accounting or equivalent, CPA preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years Accounting/Finance
- Strong understanding of Excel
- GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley knowledge required
- Track-record of improving internal controls
- Cost Accounting experience a plus
- Experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical science industry and Mergers & Acquisitions a plus
Competitive base salary + merit-based bonus and options
Some travel may be required to meet needs of divisions in New York and North Carolina