Director, Business Development, Quantitative and Clinical Strategies
Cognigen Corporation in Buffalo, NY
Reports to: Vice President, Consulting Services
Position Summary: The Director will identify new clients and new opportunities (leads) to develop business prospects leading to model-based drug research and development opportunities that will support corporate and divisional goals. The Director will work to turn leads into opportunities by leading and facilitating discussions with clients to identify and fully elucidate client needs in order to develop quantitative-based strategies that will solve drug development challenges. Following up on these opportunities, the Director will develop and deliver proposals for new and follow-on projects and maintain communication with client contacts to progress to deal closing and support a positive relationship. The Director will work closely with the proposal team, project management, scientists, and company leadership to develop strategies related to new business development and marketing. The Director will provide an external-facing persona for Cognigen to engage new and existing clients and industry leaders through networking, podium presentations and webinars.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops business prospects leading to model-based drug research and development opportunities that will support corporate growth and profit goals.
- Works closely with the proposal team in preparing responses to requests for information or proposals, drafting and developing work scopes, proposals, and analysis plans for identified projects.
- Develops a plan to expand corporate consulting services and products domestically and internationally.
- Provides an external-facing persona for Cognigen in an effort to engage new and existing clients and industry leaders through networking, webinars, and podium presentations at clinical pharmacology, pharmacometric, and/or therapeutic area conferences and at client meetings.
- Leads and facilitates discussions regarding the strategic use of modeling and simulation tools and techniques to address drug development challenges.
- Works closely with project leads to identify new opportunities for client engagement and to open business opportunities in untapped divisions and departments of existing clients.
- Develops materials needed to support business development, and increased recognition of Simulations Plus products and services.
- Initiates and maintains positive, productive client relationships.
- Supports project teams by providing strategic input regarding clinical pharmacology and pharmacometric concepts, population PK, PD, and PBPK modeling and simulation, as well as noncompartmental analyses.
- Mentors junior scientists on quantitative and clinical strategies and business development skills.
As needed and as the company grows, the Director may be responsible for supervision of individuals within the division. Specific responsibilities include recruiting, training, motivating, and delegating appropriate tasks; communicating work assignments and special projects; evaluating and documenting performance; recommending personnel actions; maintaining discipline and determining significant changes in responsibility.
Education and/or Experience:
PharmD or PhD in physical sciences or related field
Minimum of ten years experience in the pharmaceutical industry post-fellowship, including modeling and simulation
Understanding and demonstrated knowledge of clinical pharmacology, pharmacometrics, drug development, and the regulatory approval process
Modeling knowledge in clinical and pre-clinical spaces
Working knowledge of modeling and simulation tools including NONMEM, R, and GastroPlus
Ability to facilitate discussions and ask leading questions in order to understand client needs
Strong interpersonal skills required
Ability to see the big picture without losing sight of the critical details governing selection of an appropriate strategy in a particular situation
Proven ability to communicate pharmacometric issues and concepts to an audience with a wide range of disciplines and varying skill levels
Excellent management, leadership, and organization skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Project and strategic planning expertise
Track record of completing projects on time and within budget
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Quiet office setting with co-workers in close proximity
Must be able to work well in a dynamic and changing environment.
Must be able to multi-task and switch between projects on a regular basis.
Domestic and international travel will be required. Advance notice and planning will be given, but may not always be possible.
- Acquire advanced skills in business and organization development.
- May be asked to participate in divisional or company-wide strategic planning.
- Monitor future trends in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries to identify new opportunities.
- Stay abreast of the current literature in clinical pharmacology, modeling and simulation.
- Comply with all policies and SOP’s as specified by the Cognigen Quality Management System and utilize in-house management tools.
- Track time spent on various projects using current tools and processes.