DILIsym Services, Inc. in Research Triangle Park, NC
Outstanding candidates are sought for a Scientist position at DILIsym Services Inc., a Simulations Plus Company (NASDAQ:SLP), located in Research Triangle Park, NC. The position is flexible with respect to remote work, onsite work, or a combination of remote
and onsite. Various levels of experience will be considered for the possible roles of Scientist I, Scientist II, Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist. The successful applicant will be part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers, biochemists, toxicologists, and physicians working on the development and application of the DILIsym®, IPFsym®, and/or NAFLDsym® software platforms (as well as custom model projects) focused on predicting drug efficacy and/or safety for human patients, rodents, and dogs. For example, DILIsym
focuses on drug-induced liver injury (DILI) while NAFLDsym focuses on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
Specifically, the successful candidate will be tasked with software development projects commissioned by the DILI-sim Initiative or RENAsym Consortium members or arising from NAFLDsym, IPFsym, or other QSP use cases, as well as application projects that involve utilizing the various platforms to solve important problems related to drug efficacy and toxicity within the pharmaceutical industry. The role will require a combination of technical and project management work, and will include components such as systems pharmacology modeling, software code development and maintenance in Julia, MATLAB®, and potentially C++, report and manuscript preparation, presentations to consortium members and sponsors of proprietary work, and training others on the use of the platforms. Specifically, duties will likely include:
- Design, write, test, and/or use computer code to build and maintain the submodel(s) related to a given core area (e.g. DILIsym, NAFLDsym, IPFsym, RENAsym, RADAsym).
- Represent compounds and drugs in DILIsym, including translating laboratory data into model parameters.
- Contribute to the activities required for successful completion of all DILIsym Services divisional goals, including those of the various development efforts.
- Combine technical and project management work, including components such as systems pharmacology modeling, software code development and maintenance in Julia, MATLAB, or other designated software environments.
- Train others on the use of various platforms.
- Schedule necessary meetings including internal and external collaborators.
- Travel to sponsor locations to participate in key milestone meetings as required (sparingly), as well as to scientific conferences.
- Exert leadership in the area of report and presentation preparation, which are critical final deliverables for all projects.
- Manage and participate in preparation and review of manuscripts.
- Manage effort expended for a given project to be consistent with the resources allocated for the project.
- Oversee and supervise the technical work of others.
- Lead sub-groups of individuals within the company independently to accomplish key technical goals.
- Participate in vision planning for the company in collaboration with senior leadership as it relates to his or her area(s) of expertise.
Qualifications and Experience
Ideal candidates will have:
- A Ph.D. or equivalent degree in engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, or other life science areas with 0-20+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical or CRO space, or a M.S. or equivalent degree with 2-20+ years of experience.
- Proficiency in mathematics
- General knowledge of biology, biochemistry, lipid biochemistry, immunology,
- Experience with software such as Julia or MATLAB.
- Experience in the areas of PK modeling, PKPD modeling, and systems pharmacology modeling.
- Experience with appropriate software platforms in each of these areas (e.g. MATLAB, Julia, GastroPlus™, DILIsym, C++ programming
- Some knowledge of the drug development process and how to apply modeling and simulation to the process for maximum impact.