Last Updated: June 2021
View our Cookie Consent Policy.
Don’t worry; we play nice.
Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. For this reason, we collect and use personal data only as it might be needed to deliver to you our world-class software products, consulting services, and websites – cognigencorp.com, dilisym.com, lixoft.com, and simulations-plus.com (collectively, our “Services”.) Your personal data includes:
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Other data collected that could directly or indirectly identify you
Because we gather certain types of information about the users of Simulations Plus’ websites, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses: (1) what information we gather, (2) how we use it, and (3) options we provide for you to access, update, or otherwise take control of your personal data we process. We encourage you to read the summaries below and to click on the accordion sections if you’d like more information on a particular subject.
If at any time you have questions about our practices or any of your rights described below, you may reach our Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) and our team that supports this office by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This inbox is actively monitored and managed.
1. Information we gather and track
Simulations Plus websites gather information so that we can provide the best possible experience when you utilize our Services. Most of what you could consider personal data is collected directly from you when you:
- Create an account or purchase any of our Services (ex. billing information, including name, address, and/or credit card number);
- Request assistance from our outstanding customer support team (ex. email address or phone number);
- Complete contact forms or request newsletters or other information from us (ex. email); or
- Participate in surveys, apply for a job or otherwise participate in activities we promote that might require information about you.
However, we also collect additional information when delivering our Services to you to ensure necessary and optimal performance. These methods of collection may not be as obvious to you, so we wanted to highlight and explain below a bit more about what these might be (as they vary from time to time) and how they work, expand the accordion below to learn more.
This PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS and applies solely to visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“personal information”). In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories are listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||NO|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||NO|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||NO|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.||NO|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||NO|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalfs, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||NO|
|K. Inferences are drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||NO|
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our clients or their agents. For example, from documents that our clients provide to us related to the services for which they engage us.
- Indirectly from our clients or their agents. For example, through information we collect from our clients in the course of providing services to them.
- Directly and indirectly from the activity on our website. For example, from submissions through our website portal or website usage details collected automatically.
- From third parties that interact with us in connection with the services we perform.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To provide you with support and respond to your inquiries, including investigating and addressing your concerns and monitoring and improving our responses.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To provide you with email alerts, event registrations, and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To improve our website and present its contents to you.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collect for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for business purposes. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract describing the purpose and require the recipient to keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold any personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased, and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, Deletion, and Opt-out Rights
To exercise the access, portability, deletion, or opt-out rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at: +1 (661) 723-7723
- Online: https://www.simulations-plus.com/privacy-policy/
- Emailing: email@example.com.
- Mailing: Office of the Data Protection Officer
Simulations Plus, Inc.
42505 10th Street West
Lancaster, CA, USA 93535
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person or an authorized representative of the person we collected personal information on.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain why we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information’s value and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will notify you by email or through a notice on our website homepage.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, our Privacy Statement, how we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Phone: 1 (661) 723-7723
Mailing Address: Office of the Data Protection Officer
Simulations Plus, Inc.
42505 10th Street West
Lancaster, CA, USA 93535
2. Use of the information
Simulations Plus uses any information collected to enhance your experience in our network, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the site or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users, including sending important news events (however, you may unsubscribe at any time). No information is resold to third parties. We strongly believe in both minimizing the data we collect and limiting its use and purpose to only that:
- for which we have been given permission or which may be of interest to you based on the information you provided us;
- as necessary to deliver the Services you purchase or interact with;
- as we might be required or permitted for legal compliance or other lawful purposes.
Expand the accordion below to read more details on what these include.
3. Options we provide for you to access, update or otherwise take control of your personal data we process
Simulations Plus makes it easy for you to control the information you provide to us. Our policy explains how you can make choices about your information and the measures we’ve put in place to keep your information secure. Expand the accordion below to read more on how we accomplish this.
Account-related information is collected in association with your use of our Services, such as purchases, when products renew or expire, information requests and customer service requests, and notes explaining what you asked for and how we responded.
Cookies (a string of information that assigns you a unique identifier that we store on your computer)
Data about Usage of Services is automatically collected when you use and interact with our Services, including metadata, log files, cookie/device IDs, and location information. This information includes specific data about your interactions with the features, content, and links (including those of third-parties, such as social media plugins) contained within the Services, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and settings, the date and time the Services were used, information about browser configuration and plugins, language preferences and cookie data, information about devices accessing the Services, including the type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, application IDs, unique device identifiers (HOSTIDs) and error data, and some of this data collected might be capable of being used to approximate your location.
Supplemental Data may be received about you from other sources, including publicly available database or third parties (ex. GoToWebinar), in which case we may combine this data with information we already have about you so that we can update, expand, and analyze the accuracy of our records, identify new customers, and provide products and services that may be of interest to you. If you provide us personal information about others, or if others give us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
Delivering, improving, updating, and enhancing the Services we provide for you. We collect various information relating to your purchase, use, and/or interactions with our Services. We utilize this information to:
- Improve and optimize the operation and performance of our Services (again, including our websites)
- Diagnose problems with and identify any security risks, errors, or needed enhancements to the Services
- Detect and prevent fraud and abuse of our Services and systems
- Collecting and aggregate statistics about the use of the Services
- Understand and analyze how you use our Services and what products and services are most relevant to you.
Often, much of the data collected is aggregated or statistical data about how individuals use our Services and are not linked to any personal data, but to the extent it is itself personal data or is linked or linkable to personal data, we treat accordingly.
Sharing with trusted third parties. We may share your personal data with affiliated companies within our corporate family, with third parties with which we have partnered to allow you to integrate their services into our own Services, and with trusted third party service providers as necessary for them to perform services on our behalf such as:
- Processing credit card payments (ex. PayPal)
- Serving advertisements (ex. MailChimp)
- Conducting surveys (ex. Survey Monkey, Google Forms)
- Performing analysis of our Services and customer demographics (ex. Google Analytics)
- Communicating with you, such as by way of email or survey delivery (ex. Microsoft Outlook)
- Customer relationship management (ex. Microsoft Dynamics)
We only share your personal data as necessary for any third party to provide the services as requested or as needed on our behalf. These third parties (and any subcontractors) are subject to strict data processing terms and conditions and are prohibited from utilizing, sharing, or retaining your personal data for any other purpose than as they have been specifically contracted for (or without your consent.)
Communicating with you. We may contact you directly or through a third-party service provider regarding products or services you have signed up or purchased from us, such as necessary to deliver transactional or service-related communications. We may also contact you with offers for additional services we think you’ll find valuable if you give us consent, or where allowed based upon legitimate interests. You don’t need to provide consent as a condition to purchase our goods or services. These contacts may include:
- Telephone calls
You may also update your subscription preferences with respect to receiving communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the footer of each promotional email or sending an email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you make use of a service that allows you to import contacts (ex. using email marketing services to send emails on your behalf), we will only use the contacts and any other personal information for the requested services. If you believe that anyone has provided us with your personal information and you would like to request that it be removed from our database, please contact us at email@example.com.
Compliance with legal, regulatory, and law enforcement requests. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with applicable law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (such as subpoena requests), to protect our property and rights or the property and rights of a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical.
To the extent we are legally permitted to do so, we will take reasonable steps to notify you in the event that we are required to provide your personal information to third parties as part of the legal process.
Website analytics. We use multiple web analytics tools provided by service partners such as Google Analytics, Facebook Page Insights, Twitter Analytics, and Moz to collect information about how you interact with our websites, including what pages you visit, what site you visited prior to visiting our website, how much time you spend on each page, what operating system and web browser you use and network and IP information. We use the information provided by these tools to improve our Services. These tools place persistent cookies in your browser to identify you as a unique user the next time you visit our website. Each cookie cannot be used by anyone other than the services provider (ex. Google Analytics.) The information collected from the cookie may be transmitted to and stored by these service partners on servers in a country other than the country in which you reside. Though information collected does not include personal data such as name, address, billing information, etc., the information collected is used and shared by these service providers in accordance with their individual privacy policies. You can control the technologies we use by managing your settings through the “cookie banners” that may be presented (depending on the URL of the website visited) when you first visit our webpages or by utilizing the settings in your browser or third-party tools (ex. Ad-Block Plus) and others.
Targeted advertisements. Targeted ads or interest-based offers may be presented to you based on your activities on our web pages and other websites and based on the products you currently own. These offers will display as varying product banners presented to you while browsing. We also partner with third parties to manage our advertising on our web pages and other websites. Our third-party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information such activities in order to provide you with advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests and to measure advertising effectiveness. If you wish to opt out of interest-based advertising, click here. Please note you will continue to receive generic ads.
How you can access, update, or delete your data.
To easily access, view, update, delete or port your personal data (where available), to update your subscription preferences, or to register a complaint about our use of your personal data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you make a request to delete your personal data and that data is necessary for the products or services you have purchased, the request will be honored only to the extent it is no longer necessary for any Services purchased or required for our legitimate business purposes or legal or contractual record keeping requirements.
Opt out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us & update your email preferences by using the links in the footer of each email or by contacting us by email, phone, US mail, or website Contact Us form, as provided below to have your contact information removed from our promotional email list and/or customer relationship database. Even after you opt-out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our Services.
How we secure, store, and retain your data.
We follow generally accepted standards to store and protect the personal data we collect, both during transmission and once received and stored, including utilization of encryption where appropriate.
We retain personal data only for as long as necessary to provide the services you have requested and thereafter for various legitimate legal or business purposes. These might include retention periods:
- Mandated by law, contract, or similar obligations applicable to our business operations;
- for preserving, resolving, defending, or enforcing our legal/contractual rights; or
- needed to maintain adequate business and financial records.
If you have any questions about the security or retention of your personal data, you can contact us at email@example.com.
“Do Not Track” notifications.
Some browsers allow you to automatically notify websites you visit not to track you using a “Do Not Track” signal. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Like many websites and online services, we currently do not alter our practices when we receive a “Do Not Track” signal from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you may visit www.allaboutdnt.com
Data Protection Authority.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA) and believe we maintain your personal data subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may direct questions or complaints to our lead supervisory authority:
Office of the Data Protection Officer
Simulations Plus, Inc.
42505 10th Street West
Lancaster, CA, USA 93535
- By Mail: Attn: Office of the Personal Data Protection Officer, 42505 10th Street West, Lancaster, CA 93535
- By Phone: +1 (661) 723-7723; request the Personal Data Protection Officer.
We will respond to privacy-related requests, inquires, or concerns in accordance with the applicable data privacy law(s).